Sunday, March 2, 2014

A Peek at my Week: Government & Dr. Seuss

This is my first time linking up with Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for a Peek at my week! I love the idea of seeing what everyone has planned for the week.

I left school Friday afternoon super stressed about what I was going to do for Reading and Language this coming week. We took our State Writing Test on Wednesday and finished our George Washington's Socks project this week. With only two weeks left until Spring Break, I really don't want to start our new novel unit yet, and my kids need a break from essay writing. After reading through a few blogs this weekend, I finally got inspired and found a perfect solution to my Reading and Language Arts dilemma.

Social Studies: We are continuing our look at the Constitution and formation of our government.
M: Preamble- After a small dose of School House Rock to help them remember the words, they are going to break into groups with a small part of the Preamble to discuss and bring back to the class.
T: Separation of Powers and Checks & Balances - Once again a School House Rock event.
W: Three Branches- In the past I have used my Government Tree to teach this concept, but my tree got a little damage from having a box fall on it. So this year we will be using a graphic organizer instead. I also love to use the "We the People" series to help teach this concept.
Th: National & State Powers: The "We the People" series has a great lesson on this too. We will use it to pull information from in order to create a Venn Diagram.
F: Federalists & Anti-federalists: We will be creating posters in support or opposition of ratifying the Constitution.

Reading: We will be continuing our Vocab Warriors this week with the Midas set. We are almost finished with the Vocab Warriors. My students are so excited because we are having a party at the end for all students who made an 80% or higher on all the tests. It's still a few weeks away as we have to finish the next unit and have at least a week for redos, but they have been working all year to get to this point.

 I saw this amazing idea at Teaching in Room 6 for using Dr. Seuss books to teach upper grade skills. You can view what she did and get the resources for Free at her site. I will be using The Lorax as my example throughout the week as the students work on their own books in small groups. I love that this lesson hits on Literal Understanding, Main Idea, Theme, and a fun end of book project of creating their own cover. My students will love this activity, and it will be a great skill review.

Writing: As I said, my students just took their State Writing Test, and I promised them they would not write another essay for a long time. With that in mind, I LOVED the free lesson at Ideas by Jivey for using a Mentor Sentence from The Lorax. This will be my first time using Mentor Sentences, but I am excited to see how it goes. I think my kiddos will love getting to create their own using the Mentor Sentence as inspiration.

With all that said, we just got a call that school is cancelled tomorrow. Sigh. I guess I'll be doing some rearranging when I know for sure how many days we will be out next week. Oh well, here is a peek at what was supposed to be my week. :)

3 comments:

  1. Blogs are a great way to get inspired aren't they!? I am so tired of snow day too! We have not made a call yet but we have a storm watch happening here in MD...oye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a surprise start to your week! Snow days...love them and hate them. We've had five here in WI so far....Where is spring???

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete