Monday, April 29, 2013

Must Read Mentor Texts: George Washington's Socks



Today I'm linking up with the Collaboration Cuties- Must Read Mentor Texts. I'm super excited because this week is Social Studies Mentor Texts. Since I started teaching Reading last year, I have found tons of books to use in Reading that fit perfectly with what we are studying in Social Studies.


One of my favorites that my students just finished a few weeks ago is George Washington's Socks by Elvira Woodruff. In this book a group of kids travel back in time and wind up right in the middle of the American Revolution.




My students love that is isn't just a simple Historical Fiction, but has an element of Fantasy with the time travel.

This book does have a second book called George Washington's Spy about the same group of kids. One of the activities I have my students do with this book is to create an idea for another book for this same adventure club. They have to pick an event we have learned about in class, create a short plot, and a title for their new book.
 
I love the teacher and student guides that came with the novels. They have activities, comprehension questions, and vocabulary study from the novel.
 
 
 
I number all my novels I use in class, and the students have to use their number. It helps so much in tracking down who has each of my books.

I would greatly recommend this book for any wanting to get kids interested in novels about history.

3 comments:

  1. I love George Washington's Socks! And I just found out about the sequel! We are using GWS as an extended text right now so all of the students have a copy! They LOVE it! They don't want to stop reading it!

    I'm so glad you linked up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through the linky. I love George Washington's Socks. such a fun book. I'm a new follower!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! GWS is by far one of my favorites!

      Delete